Monday, August 10, 2009

Countdown to FringeNYC (4 Days Till Opening)

For the fifth year in a row, the good folks at the New York International Fringe Festival have asked me to host their Opening Ceremonies. (It's actually my seventh year doing this; I missed 2004, but hosted in 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008. You can see that I enjoy this gig!)

This year, the Opening Ceremonies will be held in Washington Square Park, at Holley Plaza, in the southwest corner of the park (near West 4th Street and MacDougall Street). Here's a map. (Note: rain location is FringeCENTRAL, 54 Crosby Street.) The festivities begin on Friday, August 14 at 12NOON and continue through 3pm.

FringeNYC Producing Artistic Director Elena K. Holy kicks things off, as she always does, with a wonderful welcome. And then I will be entrusted with "cutting the ribbon," so to speak, for this always exciting theatre festival. Here's what we'll do:
  • We'll see previews of a dozen FringeNYC shows (FringeNYTeasers) -- the list of the shows scheduled to perform is here.
  • I'll share tips and pointers about how to get the most out of North America's largest multi-arts festival -- my "patented" "How to FringeNYC Guide," refined over a dozen years of intense FringeNYC-going and reviewing.
  • I'll interview a whole bunch of FringeNYC insiders -- staff members, participants, and alumni -- who will give you the real scoop about this year's events.
  • And there will be lots of prizes to give away, courtesy of FringeNYC and The New York Theatre Experience, Inc.

The weather forecast, as I write this words, is for partly cloudy skies and a high of 82 degrees on Friday -- that's just what the doctor (Dr. Elena, that is) ordered! Please, if you are free on August 14 between 12pm and 3pm, join me for the FringeNYC Opening Ceremonies. It's one of my favorite events of the year!

Up next, information about reviewing this enormous festival! Check back tomorrow...

No comments: