Sunday, January 11, 2009

Less is More for NY Gilbert & Sullivan Players

This is from a review I just posted this evening on nytheatre.com; it's written by Daniel Kelley about the new cabaret show I've Got a Little Twist:

Ever since I was a kid growing up in Brooklyn, the New York City Gilbert and Sullivan Players (NYGASP) have put on three productions yearly—two of the "big three" (either H.M.S Pinafore, The Mikado, or The Pirates of Penzance) and one additional lesser-known work. When I first started to attend their performances, they were uptown at Symphony Space. Later on, they moved to Midtown and the much larger City Center. This year, no doubt due to the current turmoil that's gripping the global economy, NYGASP has decided to hold off on a fully staged production of a Gilbert & Sullivan classic for the first part of the year and has instead decided to do something a little more intimate.

The result is the cabaret evening I've Got a Little Twist, a prime example of how arts organizations can use the limitations placed on them by the current financial climate to get back to their roots and get creative. NYGASP's mission statement is "giving vitality to the living legacy of Gilbert & Sullivan." I've Got a Little Twist does just this and in the process gives one of the freshest and most heartfelt performances that I've seen the company do in years.

(The boldface is mine.)

I love the Good News inside this review: that a reduction in resources can lead directly to innovation and invention. I am sure we'll be seeing more of this throughout the year, and that lots of exciting art will be created as a result.

The entire review is here: http://www.nytheatre.com/nytheatre/showpage.php?t=ive7819. NYGASP's website is http://nygasp.org/home.

No comments: