This is the 10th volume in our annual series of anthologies of new plays by never-before published playwrights. I think these eleven plays represent the vitality, diversity, and vibrancy of NYC's indie theater scene during the past year. Here they are, in the order I saw them:
- Nowhere on the Border by Carlos Lacamara -- first produced at Repertorio Espanol in September 2007
- Sister Cities by Colette Freedman -- NYC premiere at T. Schreiber Studio in October 2007
- American Badass (or 12 Characters in Search of a National Identity) by Chris Harcum -- premiered at the FRIGID Festival in February 2008
- Conversation Storm by Rick Burkhardt -- NYC premiere at the FRIGID Festival in February 2008
- Hospital 2008 by Randy Sharp and Axis Company -- first produced at Axis Theater in June 2008
- Death at Film Forum by Eric Bland -- premiered at The Film Festival: A Theatre Festival at the Brick Theatre in June 2008
- TRACES/fades by Lenora Champagne -- premiered at the Ice Factory festival at the Ohio Theatre in July 2008
- S/HE by Nanna "Nick" Mwaluko -- premiered at the Fresh Fruit Festival in July 2008
- A Fire as Bright as Heaven by Tim Collins -- NYC premiere at the New York International Fringe Festival in August 2008
- Krapp, 39 by Michael Laurence -- premiered at the New York International Fringe Festival in August 2008
- Linus & Alora by Andrew Irons -- first produced by AndHow! Theater Company at the Flea in September 2008
As you can see, seven of the plays this year come from theatre festivals, which is more than in any previous year (and not just FringeNYC). This, too, I think is indicative of a change in the theatrical landscape.
Plays and Playwrights 2009 is targeted for publication in February 2009. You will be hearing much more about it between now and then... and I will be telling you soon about a new and exciting series of events we're planning where you will be able to meet many of this year's new playwrights! Watch for details here and on nytesmallpress.com.