Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Now I'm Free on Friday Night...

That's the good news; the bad news -- at least for the producers of Glory Days -- is that the reason I'm free is that I won't be reviewing their show. It closed last night -- the same night it opened.

I had actually been curious about this little musical that was so successful at DC's Signature Theatre. But now I'll never know.

From what I do know about it, it does strike me as pretty far-fetched for producers to have imagined that a show like this belongs on Broadway. I wonder if Glory Days might have found a more welcoming home at a small space off-Broadway.

At any rate, as far I can tell, Glory Days is the first Broadway show to run only 1 performance since The Apple Doesn't Fall... by Trish Vradenburg, which opened and closed on April 14, 1996. So it's place in the history books is, ironically, secure.

3 comments:

nytheatre mike said...

"The Apple Doesn't Fall..."? Dude, I don't even remember that show.

Martin-nytheatre.com said...

Which is probably just what someone will say about GLORY DAYS in 2019...

But it turns out that I am incorrect...there was a 1-performance flop in 2003, THE OLDEST LIVING CONFEDERATE WIDOW TELLS ALL. Remember that one?

nytheatre mike said...

I actually do remember that one. Ellen Burstyn, right? Poor Ellen...